Monday, August 23, 2021

Tomorrow is the Day!

¡Hola Familias!

What a whirlwind of a few days we have had! I would like to extend my genuine appreciation and gratitude for your understanding in the midst of so many changes. As you know from my previous email, unfortunately I will not be in the classroom until Friday this week. Maestra Perla De Leon (pdeleon@hollandchristian.org) will be with the kids on Tuesday, and Maestra Abi Rodriguez (arodriguez@hollandchristian.org) will be with them Wednesday and Thursday. If you need anything, please feel free to either reach out directly to them or to me. I am here to help!

Here are a few logistical items for this week and as we get into the school routine:

Transportation

I know I had parents fill out a Transportation form at the Ice Cream Social, but since tomorrow and Wednesdays will be half days, I want to make sure everyone is getting home the right way! :) Would you mind filling this form out for me quickly? Thank you in advance!

Also, in case you didn't know, there is a shuttle bus running to and from South Side Elementary for SI students. The morning shuttle will pick up at South Side at 7:55am and bring students to Rose Park. The newly added afternoon shuttle will pick up after school at Rose Park and return to South Side by about 3:30pm. Students will need to be picked up from South Side. For now it will be bus #1 and there will be a "RP Shuttle" sign in the window. There is a $75 fee per child to ride for the year. Email Rose Rodriguez at rrodriguez@hollandchristian.org to sign your child up.

Drop-Off & Pick-Up

Last year due to COVID restrictions, parents were not allowed in the school building. This year, parents are allowed to come inside for morning drop-off and/or to volunteer in the classrooms (yay!).

Children are allowed to enter the building at 7:55am. They will then go out to the playground, where a recess monitor will watch them until 8:10am. At 8:10am, the bell rings and they will go to their classrooms. Students are expected to arrive in their classrooms between 8:10-8:15am to begin their morning work, choose their lunch/milk option, and to pick up a free snack for the day. NOTE: We will NOT have a snack until 10:00am, so please make sure your child has a healthy breakfast at home before coming to school!

You are welcome to drop off your child at the front of the school building, or you may walk him/her inside to the classroom. I only ask that you make your goodbyes brief, since it can be hard for kindergarteners to get started with their day when Mom or Dad is hanging around. ;)

For pick-up, I will exit the side door (C I believe?) with the class at 3:15 or a few minutes earlier. You may either park and walk over to the sidewalk area, or make a line with the other cars. Please make sure I have seen you and your child says "Adiós" to me before running off with you! If you are waiting in the pickup line, keep your hazards on until your child is in the car with you. We will only load kids up to the white line (I believe there is a "loading zone" sign as well), so you might have to wait for the second or third round of cars.

Snacks/Lunch

We get another year of free lunches and snacks--hooray! (Personally, making lunches for my kids is one thing I am happy to do without--ha ha!)

Your child will be offered free snacks upon entering the school building each morning. As I mentioned above, your child should have breakfast in the morning before attending school. Our snack times are 10:00-10:15am and 2:00-2:15pm.

Upon entering the classroom in the morning, your child will choose school lunch or home lunch, as well as white or chocolate milk. We will eat lunches in the classroom this year to minimize the spread of germs. If your child has lots of food left over, I will usually try to send it home. Please make sure you check your child's backpack every day so there is no "extra-ripe" food in there! ;)

Supplies

Here is a list of what your child will need at school:

-pencil box (5 pencils, 3 glue sticks, crayons, scissors inside)

-take-home folder (will go and come each day)

-beach towel for outdoor learning (keep in locker)

-t-shirt for art (keep in locker)

-labeled pair of headphones

Masks

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility as we pivot continually with new mandates and expectations. I know that masks are not fun to wear, but kids are also resilient and will learn regardless. I will also do my best to allow for times of outdoor learning whenever possible to give the kids a mask break.

Field Trips this Week / Popsicles

The students will be taking two field trips this week--on Wednesday to Dunton Park and on Thursday to the Outdoor Discovery Center. Thank you to those who have volunteered to help! Also, if you signed up to bring popsicles in the afternoon, feel free to drop them off in the morning whenever you are able. We'll find a time to surprise the kids with them sometime during the week. :)


If there is anything else I have forgotten to mention, or you may still have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out! While I will not be present for the first few days, I am always an email, text, or phone call away (339-222-8571). Please let me know if there is any other way I can support your child. I know we are going to get through the hiccups and confusion of the first few days, and we will have an amazing year together!

No comments:

Post a Comment